A B Corp is a business that meets the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability. B Corp don’t just care about profit – they care about people and the planet too.
There are currently over 3,000 B Corp in 150 industries and 60 countries across the globe. We’re officially the biggest B Corp ever to be founded by a woman – pioneer Dame Anita Roddick.
We’re delighted to join the club, but social and environmental activism has been part of our DNA since we were founded in 1976. Now, we’re determined to continue our mission more than ever.
WHY IS IT GOOD TO BE A B CORP?
“My passionate belief is that business can be fun, it can be conducted with love and a powerful force for good” – Dame Anita Roddick
Like our founder, B Corp are champions of using business as a force for good.
We’re joining a rapidly growing number of B Corp committed to driving change in business and society. Harnessing the power of business, B Corp use profits and growth to create a positive impact for their employees, communities and the environment.
B Corp work together across the globe for reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities and the creation of jobs with dignity and purpose. They want to inspire other companies to join them.
The B Corp assessment process measures a business’s performance in five key categories – governance, workers, customers, community and the environment – using credible, independent standards of social and environmental performance.
Here are just a few of the initiatives that helped us meet B Corp certification:
• Our history of engaging customers in our activist campaigns, including Forever Against Animal Testing. We also played a big role in influencing legislation and speaking to lawmakers and stakeholders about this topic to end animal testing in cosmetics worldwide for good.
• We’ve changed our legal status to a Triple Bottom Line business. This means that we see people and the planet as equal to profit.
The launch of our in store recycling scheme and the offsetting of energy use in our stores that isn’t green energy.
• Volunteering days involving our 8,000+ employees across the globe.
• Training and engaging teams around the world on our B Corp mission and on the importance of being a Triple Bottom Line business.
• Our commitment to helping empower people and communities around the world through our Community Fair Trade programme. We’ve been sourcing ingredients and accessories from expert producers and artisans in exchange for a fair price for over 30 years.
WHAT IS OUR B CORP SCORE?
Businesses need a score of 80 points or above to achieve B Corp certification. We’re proud to exceed this already high standard. We look forward to achieving an even higher score when we next certify.
B Corp certification is managed by B Lab®. B Lab is a non-profit that serves a global movement of entrepreneurs, using the power of business to solve social and environmental issues. Its vision is that all businesses across the globe will measure and manage their impact with the same attention as they do to profit.
To maintain our B Corp certification, we need to continue documenting our positive impact to qualify and undergo re-certification every three years.
WHAT OTHER B CORP BRANDS ARE THERE?
Some of the most admired brands in the world are B Corp certified, including Ben & Jerry’s, Patagonia and our parent company, Natura. These were all friends of and inspirations to our founder, Dame Anita Roddick.
B Corp is just one layer of our commitment to sustainability. Check out the links below to discover what else we’re doing to help people and the planet and get ready for more exciting announcements about our sustainability strategy in 2021.
COMMUNITY FAIR TRADE
Community Fair Trade is our unique, independently verified fair trade programme. It helps our partners gain market access, improve their livelihoods and invest in social and environmental projects that benefit their communities.
PACKAGING AT THE BODY SHOP
We’re changing the way we think about plastic and packaging so we can work towards being a more sustainable brand. Learn about the projects we’re working on to make this a reality.