As we get older, our skin faces more and more challenges. As well as cell production slowing down, it also becomes more vulnerable to environmental factors such as sun damage and air pollution. What we eat can also affect our skin, which is why it’s important to take care of our bodies both inside and out with a healthy diet and a great skincare routine.
As our skin matures, it starts to lose its firmness and moisture content. That’s why we need to do all we can to keep it properly nourished, using products that contain active ingredients that will work deeply to soothe and protect it.
Taking proper care of your skin as it ages doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, there are only a few simple things that you’ll need to consider to keep it looking and feeling youthful. Here we take a look at five easy tips for nurturing and safeguarding more mature skin:
1. Get to know your skin. Taking care of your own individual skin all starts with learning how it reacts to changes in things such as your environment and your diet. Many variables can affect its overall condition and once you understand what these are, you’ll find it a lot easier to care for it more effectively.
2. Follow a simple daily skincare routine. You should aim to get used to a simple skincare routine that will involve daily cleansing, moisturising and applying of a protective serum infused with plant-based and responsive ingredients.
3. Stay hydrated. It’s only logical to assume that if your body is dry, your skin will be too. That’s why drinking plenty of water throughout the day, especially during the hotter summer months, will really help to keep your skin feeling hydrated and looking great.
4. Eliminate stress as much as possible. Stress can have a huge impact on your skin, which is why you should try to practise techniques to stay calm, even in tricky situations. If you find this difficult due to a particularly hectic lifestyle, you may want to try practicing some relaxation techniques such as those found at our Spa of the World™ hub.
5. Be wary of what you put in your body and on your skin. Everything you put in and on your body, has the potential to harm it. Avoiding eating unhealthy foods and drinking too many caffeinated drinks (which can dry out the skin) is a great place to start.
At The Body Shop, we’ve developed Roots of Strength™, our high-performing firming and shaping skincare range.
Each item is to be used morning and evening as part of a simple three-step skin care routine, designed to make sure your skin feels firmer, plumper and denser, as if it’s been re-shaped.
More luminous-looking skin and fewer visible signs of aging is more achievable than ever thanks to our Roots of Strength™ skincare range.
When formulating our product range, we wanted to cover all the bases of a typical skincare routine. We’ve come up with three unique nature-inspired products that all help promote the appearance of more luminous-looking skin.
For a more glowing appearance, simply follow these three easy steps for what we believe is one of the most effective and best anti-aging skincare routines around.
After cleaning your skin with a gentle cleanser, apply our refreshing Roots of Strength™ Firming Shaping Essence Lotion to help prepare and activate your skin before step two.
Infused with root extracts this refreshing essence lotion combines the comfort of a moisturising gel with the freshness of water, instantly replenishing your skin with moisture. The texture of your skin looks more refined and feels firmer. It’s also suitable for sensitive skin.
Made with 99% ingredients from natural origin (trust us, the other 1% is in there for a reason), our Roots of Strength™ Firming Shaping Serum glides effortlessly onto and uplifts the skin.
From your jawline to the contours of your cheeks, every inch of your face will feel moisturised and appear smoother, plumper and firmer looking, as if it has been reshaped.
To help make your skin appear even firmer, you’ll next need to apply our silky anti-aging Roots of Strength™ Firming Shaping Cream that’s been formulated to be wonderfully rich while still being non-greasy and effortlessly lightweight.
Its fresh formula will help boost your skin and allow it to feel firmer, while its spicy scent will be a treat for your senses.
What we put on our skin can really affect its overall health, which is why we carefully chose the three natural root extracts in our Roots of Strength™ range: ginger, ginseng and ruscus, which have been used in traditional Chinese medicines for centuries.
Ginger Root Extract
We get the ginger root for our Roots of Strength™ range from the lush plains of Madagascar, sustainably sourcing it from a community of local farmers who’ve passed down their traditional farming methods for generations.
Ginseng Root Extract
Ginseng root is one of China's most treasured herbal ingredients, which is why we source ours from the Jilin Province of North East China. It’s here in the region’s lowland mountains that local farmers and farming cooperatives lovingly grow and hand-harvest the ginseng root for our Roots of Strength™ products.
Ruscus Root Extract
Ruscus thrives in the lush Quercus forests of France, Turkey, Albania and Bulgaria, which is where local farmers hand-harvest it especially for our Roots of Strength™ range.
If you want to do more to ensure your skin looks and feels great as it matures, regularly massaging your face and neck using our Roots of Strength™ Firming Shaping Cream could be the perfect solution.
Dr. Christine Choi Kim, our in-house expert on all things skin related, explains the benefits of massaging your skin:
"Massaging your skin is great for boosting circulation, bringing oxygen to the area and helping remove toxins. It also warms the skin, which makes it easier for moisturising formulas to sink in."
Watch our video for a full tutorial on how to apply all our Roots of Strength™ products for the best results.
For assisting with the signs of aging on your entire body, you may also want to try massaging one of our naturally-infused beautifying oils onto other areas of your skin, too.
Our Spa of the World™ Thai Makrut Lime Firming Oil is perfect for giving a stimulating and nourishing feeling on skin, while leaving it feeling toned and firmer. The zingy makrut lime is praised in Thailand for its uplifting scent, making it perfect to re-awaken your senses, while the oil itself will be quickly absorbed by your skin to provide it with essential nourishment.
Remember, it’s all about bringing that positive energy into your life and always loving the skin you’re in. Make sure you treat it with the right products to pamper your skin, to help it feel smoother and firmer.
Try our three-step process and give your skin the touch of TLC it deserves. It’s time to make sure your skin always stays in prime condition as you age.
Shop our full range of essential mature skincare products.