Keeping hands clean is an easy and effective way to help prevent the spread of bacteria and keep yourself healthy. But how often should you wash your hands in a day? And when is the most critical time to do so?
How often you need to wash your hands will depend on your day to day activity, but we recommend washing your hands anytime you do one of the following:
- Before and after preparing food, especially raw foods like meat and vegetables.
- Before eating.
- After using the toilet or changing a diaper.
- After blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing.
- Before and after treating a cut or wound.
- After touching animals, including pets.
If you live in a city, you’re likely to have a busy commute. It’s impossible to avoid coming into contact with lots of people and contaminated surfaces. Washing your hands when you arrive at work and return home will help to reduce the amount of grime and bacteria that may have built up on your journey.